Founded in 2020 by Tampa Bay Network to End Hunger, the Meals On Wheels National Collaborative was established to increase childhood food security through home-delivered meal (HDM) programs throughout the United States. We do this by partnering together to advocate for hunger relief through HDM programs for some of our nation’s most vulnerable – homebound/transportation-disadvantaged children.
Success of the Collaborative depends on the ongoing commitment of a diverse group of national, state, and local organizations, officials, non-profits, university, and residents to aid in ending childhood hunger.
Initiatives and Programs
- August 2020: Launched MOW4Kids National Collaborative to partner and advocate for home-delivered meal services and Meals on Wheels for Kids Act of 2020
- September 2020: Met with Congressman Rodney Davis, who introduced the Meals on Wheels for Kids Act of 2020 into legislation; provided bill comments for potential reintroduction in the next Congress, and discussed scheduling a visit from Rep. Davis in January 2021 to tour the different MOW4Kids initiatives in action.
- The group shared the bill with Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) and encouraged providing additional feedback
- October 2020: Met with congressional staff for Senator Rick Scott, Senator Marco Rubio, Representative Kathy Castor, Representative Charlie Crist, Representative Gus Bilirakis, and Representative Ross Spano
- Congresswoman Kathy Castor cosponsored the Meals on Wheels for Kids Act of 2020
- We are in process of scheduling several congressional office staffers to visit a MOW4Kids site
- November 2020: Met with Crystal FitzSimons from Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) who offered insight into timeline and factors that will impact legislation moving forward
- (Florida) Joshua’s Heart Foundation developed a home delivery meal program for children utilizing moving trucks and local municipalities
- (Texas) Baylor Collaborative Meals-to-You served over 40 million meals to kids living in rural areas
- BC email sent to state agencies with provisional Emergency Meals-to-You service data and toolkit to share with schools to promote their participation in the program
- BC issued a 12/01/20 national press release; schools and partners can amplify this message with their local stories
- (Florida) Tampa Bay Network to End Hunger MOW4Kids served over 400,000 meals to homebound or transportation-disadvantaged children and their families; launching national MOW4Kids program expansion January 2020
- (Atlanta) MOW4Kids Atlanta launches in May 2021.
For more information about the Meals On Wheels for Kids National Collaborative, please contact Caitlyn.Peacock@NetworktoEndHunger.org.