Receive donations of excess food for redistribution or scraps for compost
As many soup kitchens and food pantries try to cope with less donations and more demand, it is very important for organizations to have access to excess food. In fact, if organizations had access to all excess food, everyone in the nation could be fed. By joining Waste No Food Tampa Bay, you have access to a part of the massive amount of food waste. Here’s how it works: when you fill out the form below, we will create an account for you and you will have access to preferences which allow you to specify what type of food you want, narrowing down the places where excess food is. You can then make a claim for available excess food or food scraps and are responsible for picking it up. Afterwards, you can rate the restaurant for its effectiveness.
Who can receive donations: Any charity that is a registered 501(c)3 or any individual or business (ie. farms, community gardens) with a compost pile or animal that eats plant-based food scraps.
Benefits to recipients:
- Claim food, which might otherwise have been thrown out, and distribute it to your clients, who might otherwise have gone hungry, or use it for compost.
- The food, like the app, is free. Charities can use the money they might have otherwise spent on food for case management or other operational necessities.
Sign up now for Waste No Food Tampa Bay!
Sign up as a Charity/Recipient using the form below. If you are a charity that would like to accept donations for redistribution, you must be a registered 501(c)3. If you are accepting food scrap donations for compost, please enter 00-0000000 as the 501(c)3 number. Once we receive your application we will contact you with next steps to get started.
What to expect after you submit the form:
- A team member will contact you to schedule a quick orientation, provide you login access to your account, and arrange delivery of buckets if you plan to collect food scraps for donation.
- If you are accepting food scrap donations for compost, create a free Make Soil and/or ShareWaste account (this is optional, but it will help you get more food scraps and yard waste for your compost).
- After that, begin to monitor the Waste No Food app and start accepting donations. Only claim a donation if you are able to pick it up. Communication with the donor is easy through the app.
- Please be mindful that each establishment will have slightly different procedures for pick up. We suggest communicating with each new business you visit to learn their preferences.
- Once you receive your donation, please redistribute the excess food to those in need or compost the food scraps so they can nourish community gardens! Need additional buckets to collect food scraps? Fill out a contact form at the top.
Questions? Click contact us at the top of the screen.